Timika – National Police Chief General Listyo Sigit Prabowo provided clarification regarding the statement by the Armed Criminal Group (KKB) or West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) which denied that the Susi Air pilot, Philip Mark Mehrtens, was released by security forces.
Sigit emphasized that in the diplomacy and negotiation process, there are strategies that must be implemented.
“In diplomacy and negotiations there is a strategy,” he told Kompas.com on Wednesday (25/9/2024).
He explained that the TNI and Polri had taken a soft approach, which involved dialogue and diplomacy. Sigit believes this method can produce better final results.
“And in the future, of course, we will continue to prioritize things that have a soft, humanist approach,” he added.
Previously, Spokesperson for the TPNPB Free Papua Organization (OPM) Sebby Sambom responded to the TNI-Polri claim that the release of Philip Mark Mehrtens was the result of their work.
Sebby said that the pilot’s release was TPNPB policy.
“Philip Mehrtens was not released by the Indonesian military and police, but he was released by the TPNPB itself with respect and dignity in accordance with international standards,” said Sebby in a short message on Monday (23/9/2024).