Timika – The Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs (Menko Polhukam), Hadi Tjahjanto, emphasized that the government did not pay the armed criminal group (KKB) to free Susi Air pilot Philip Mark Mehrtens. The KKB led by Egianus Kogoya had asked for a ransom worth IDR 5 billion as a condition for releasing Philip.
“Without a request to pay and so on, no. “Everyone is free because this is the approach of religious leaders, church leaders, community leaders, TNI, Polri,” stressed Hadi, at the Parliament Complex, Senayan, Jakarta, Monday, September 23 2024.
He said that Philip’s release had been successful after going through a long negotiation process. This process was taken because pilot safety is the main priority.
“So this success is the success of all of us,” he said.
Previously, Susi Air pilot, Philip Mark Mehrtens, had arrived at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport, East Jakarta, at around 22.27 WIB. The Indonesian government immediately handed over the pilot to the New Zealand government.
“Just now, I represented the government of the Republic of Indonesia, officially handing over Captain Pilot Philip Mehrtens to the New Zealand government,” said Hadi, Saturday, September 21 2024.
He explained that Captain Philip was handed over directly to the New Zealand Ambassador to Indonesia, Kevin Burnett. “And the handover ceremony went smoothly,” he said.